Friday, June 29, 2007

Praying the Psalms

My church is going through a series on the Book of Psalms, preaching on emotions and how it is okay to experience them. I like to think that I'm usually in tune with my emotions...however, I'm not so sure that is true.

Before the Psalm series, I think I was having great big mood swings. Some days, I would come into work really excited and my work would be great. Sometimes within 24 hours, I would just hit the bottom and not know why everything around me was pressing in on me. On those days, my work and attitude would mirror that emotion.

During the first sermon Di preached in this series, she proposed that if we felt led...that we should agree to pray the Psalms every day. I've done it about 5 days out of each week, and usually if I miss a day, it's because of my workaholic tendencies.

I have also been waking up each day asking God to help me be a servant to my boss, coworkers and most definitely to Jesus. Both of these things have led to a visible difference in my attitude at work. I've also been enjoying my time with other people a lot more. I don't get as annoyed with people who are putting up a front to look like something they're not. I'm not gonna lie. It still bugs me when people aren't honest with who they are, but I don't simply cut them off.

Yesterday after work, I played the piano and sang my heart out to God. I hadn't done that in a while. It was well worth it. I had enough time to prepare my heart and just wait for God to show up. I kept singing the verse:

Strength will rise as we wait upon the Lord
We will wait upon the Lord
We will wait upon the Lord


And then today, I was reading Psalm 27 and the last lines read:

Wait patiently for the Lord.
Be brave and courageous.
Yes, wait patiently for the Lord.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home