Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Sanctuary for Immigrants

Yesterday, I was listening to NPR, and they were discussing a group of faith-based organizations in Chicago which are joining together to provide sanctuary for illegal immigrants from Mexico.

Even though the US law has no such thing as sanctuary, I'd find it awfully hard to go into a church and physically remove someone. These Christians are hoping that this will spur reformation of the immigration procedures.

I'm all about updating and lightening the immigration procedures. I even think it would great to kick off new legislation with a big bang by offering citizenship to thousands of undocumented immigrants. I could just be living in my own Eutopia...but I like it there. ;)

This morning, I was praying this Psalm...

Psalm 9:15-20
They're trapped, those godless countries,
in the very snares they set,
Their feet all tangled
in the net they spread.
They have no excuse;
the way God works is well-known.
The cunning machinery made by the wicked
has maimed their own hands.

The wicked bought a one-way
ticket to hell.
No longer will the poor be nameless—
no more humiliation for the humble.
Up, God! Aren't you fed up with their empty strutting?
Expose these grand pretensions!
Shake them up, God!
Show them how silly they look.


That last portion about the nameless seemed like it fit right alongside the illegal immigration discussion. It could just be coincidence that I listened to NPR yesterday and this passage jumped out to me today...But I think there's more to it than that. Maybe we are supposed to only help the poor as long as it follows our overly strict legislation...Maybe we're supposed to follow man's laws over God's laws... (I kid. I kid.)

I don't know...I can see both sides of the issue, but right now, I'm feeling like the US could really benefit from being shaken up and shown how silly we look. ;)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am never sure where to weigh in on the illegal immigrant scenario, but your thoughts are provoking. Thanks for sharing your prayer life with us. I am encouraged to see the Lord teach you.

1:29 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home